TAO Staking Delegation Guide
Foundry supports select proof-of-stake protocols that bring value to our institutional client base and align with our mission to develop decentralized infrastructure on a global scale. At Foundry, we have a dedicated product team that leverages our technical expertise to identify strategic emerging protocols and support their infrastructural needs as an early ecosystem entrant.
Bittensor is one such protocol.
Our team has been working closely with the Opentensor Foundation since 2021, contributing to both the mining and staking sides of the protocol tokenomics. We operate the second largest validator in the network and have innovated by bringing an enterprise-grade TAO staking offering to the market.
To stake your TAO or build a custom staking solution with Foundry, contact us here.
This guide aims to walk delegators through the process of staking TAO to the public Foundry validator address. We have covered the steps you may follow on the two wallet interfaces currently supporting TAO staking: the Bittensor native wallet and Polkadot JS.
Prior to delegating your TAO tokens, you may create a Bittensor wallet as follows:
1. Navigate to https://wallet.bittensor.com/ and select ‘Create.’
2. Select ‘Create New,’ read and accept the pop-up disclaimer by the Opentensor Foundation.
3. Move forward to ‘Generate Mnemonic,’ store your mnemonic phrase (which will be used to generate your other private keys) safely, and re-type it as requested.
4. Create a password, retype it, and select ‘Continue.’
5. Done! Now you will be able to access your Bittensor wallet.
Bittensor Wallet Staking
Accessing the Bittensor wallet that contains the TAO balance you wish to stake, you may:
1. Select ‘Stake.’
2. Input Foundry’s hotkey or validator address and click ‘Continue.’
3. Type in the TAO amount you wish to delegate to the Foundry validator address and select ‘Stake’ to sign and submit the transaction to the Bittensor chain.
Polkadot JS Staking
If you prefer to use to Polkadot JS interface, you may follow these steps, as outlined by the Opentensor Foundation:
1. Install the Polkadot Extension wallet in your browser and add to it the Bittensor wallet that contains the TAO balance you wish to stake. A pop-up authorization request will be displayed. After setting it up, you may go to Polkadot JS, where your account should be available.
3. In the drop-down menu below the selected account, choose ‘subtensorModule’ for the extrinsic.
4. In the drop-down menu to the right of the ‘subtensorModule,’ select ‘addStake (hotkey, amountStaked).’
5. Paste Foundry’s hotkey or validator address in the drop-down ‘hotkey’ field. 5HEo565WAy4Dbq3Sv271SAi7syBSofyfhhwRNjFNSM2gP9M2
6. For the ‘amountStaked’ field, input in RAO the amount of TAO that you wish to delegate to the Foundry validator address. 1 TAO = 10⁹ RAO. Therefore, if you wish to stake 1 TAO, input 1,000,000,000 in this field.
7. After verifying the keys and amounts, select ‘Submit Transaction’ to sign and submit the transaction to the Bittensor chain.
The contents of this post have been provided by Foundry Digital LLC (“Foundry” or “we”) for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as giving legal, financial or any other kind of advice. Although we strive to provide quality information, we do not guarantee or warrant any particular results from the use of this information or any opinions provided. Foundry accepts no liability whatsoever for any damages, costs or any other consequences resulting from any actions taken on the basis of the information or opinions provided. Furthermore, Foundry has no control over information provided in any third-party sites linked herein, and Foundry accepts no liability whatsoever over any consequences resulting from any actions taken on the basis of that information. Foundry reserves the right to make changes to this information at any time without prior notice and makes no commitment to update the information contained in this post.